February 17, 2009

The Amazing Gift

Grace
How can we ever fully understand
while we still walk this earth
looking through our human eyes 
We cannot truly understand the great depths of your love
of your forgiveness
of your amazing grace

I know I struggle most of all with grace
the concept throws me for a spin
Trust is not easy
and faith in the unseen is hard
but grace, oh grace
I cannot fathom you
To know that what I do means nothing
I am nothing
your grace is everything

My heart cries with sorrow for the wrong I do
for the mistakes I make and the sin I commit
I want to please you 
I want to live my life for you and you alone
This I feel is something I have to do

Yet, oh God, I forget 
hour after hour
day after day
week after week
month after month
and year after year
that your grace is all I have
your grace is all I need
not my will
not my actions
not my wishes
Your grace and your grace alone saves me

Oh God I need you
I want to understand grace
to appreciate it and not forget that amazing gift
because I am lucky to have your grace
I do not deserve it
I do not always act like I want it

But God hear my cry
I do want your grace
I want it with every fiber of my being
my heart pleads for you to inscribe it on my heart
so that when I am at my lowest,
and wondering why I keep failing,
tormenting myself for again falling from you,
nailing your hands to the cross for the millionth time,
I will remember the amazing gift I have received 
the one that tells me its not by my deeds 
or by my actions
but by YOU alone 

The amazing gift of grace


Quote of the Day:
"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."   - 2 Cor 12:9-10

2 comments:

  1. This poem is a beautiful prayer to God. I love your honest and loving heart. Thanks so much for this. It lets me know I am not alone in my struggles and reminds me of what I know, but so easily forget and beat myself up about. 2 Cor 12:9-10 has been one of my favorite verses lately and truly has strengthened me over and over. Being a christian is a rough battle, but i know God is faithful and it helps me so much to be friends with a real and true person like you. I am strengthened to know we are all fighting and struggling to heaven together and that there are no perfect ppl. Love you so much and love your realness. I'm praying for you and am so blessed to have you helping me through this life and can't wait to rest some day with you in heaven.
    Love
    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful...like these words were coming straight from your soul. It can be very difficult to be honest with ourselves about our struggles and doubts. It can be frightening. I admire the way you have found poetry as a way of getting in touch with yourself and for sharing with others. You have given beautiful expression to what many feel.
    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete