February 24, 2011

Our actions...

...affect more people than we ever realize.      

       Last weekend I spent time with one of my closest friends. It was a great weekend but Sunday, something was just off with me. I have my ideas, part of which is that I was worn out by then, but I also think God was doing something inside me that honestly, I did not handle with grace. That is putting it lightly. I know God has reasons for teaching us things at certain times for a reason, but I still haven't figured out why this time it had to be when I was still around people. Trying to process everything and not lose it was extremely difficult. Looking back I wish I had handled it differently but oh well...too late now right?
    
       Anyway, the sermon Sunday morning was in Romans 3. Many times during a sermon, I read everything on the 2 pages surrounding the key passage. I like to have the context. Well during this reading, I read Romans 2. That chapter really caught my attention. At this point, some background information has to be given. My friend and her fiance have a dance group that they are involved with. This group's dynamics are crazy. Unless you have met some of these people, you can't understand. Now I have spent time with probably 3 people from this group other than my friend and her fiance. I know a lot about the drama and things that have occurred between the members. One situation involves a couple, who do not have the cleanest record (I'll leave it at that). They remind me of the Pharisees. Very hypocritical and a horrible witness to the non-christians in the group. Unfortuntely, this involves a friend of mine that I met through my friend and her fiance. I'll name this person Ryan (for protection and cause the name doesn't matter to the story). Ryan is not a Christian to my knowledge and it breaks my heart. However, what upsets me is that the guy in the couple mentioned above had the chance to really change Ryan's life. Ryan really respected this guy and saw a difference in him. But then the drama went down and Ryan saw his true colors, with seemly no repentance or regret. This situation destroyed that guy's testimony, especially his witness and friendship with Ryan. Now, Ryan feels very strongly that Christians aren't any different and that we are all hypocrites. Although I do want to throw in a praise that he has never said anything negative to me or my friend about our faith, which hopefully means we still have a shot. I am definitely looking forward to moving to the area in the fall, hoping I can make a difference in his life. Final piece of background info, during this weekend away, I saw Ryan twice, so he had already been on my mind some.
    
       I know...sorry that was a lot of background information. Anyway, if you read Romans 2: 12-29; I felt God saying, "See, your actions are so important. Look at what happened with Ryan. A Christian's life is always either reflecting me or not. Your name doesn't matter ('Jew' or 'Gentile' or whatever other label you want to use) but how you live your life." The part of Romans 2 that broke me most was Romans 2:24,
"For as it is written, 'The name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you.'"  
I am definitely not perfect but I hope that I remain humble and repentant and aware of my sins because I never want a "Gentile" to look at my life and not see a difference; therefore, walking farther from God. Witnessing is so important (as my Sunday School class has been discussing for awhile) but there is something else just as important! Living for God so that no one denounces God because of your life. As much as I pray that I can have a positive affect on Ryan's life, I pray more that I do not do anything to destroy my witness, not just with him but everyone in my life. That is kinda scary because I know myself better than any human and I know my struggles all too well. But that is where God comes in. I just do my best and let the Holy Spirit do the rest.
    
        So as you read this, think about who is in your sphere of influence and how you live your daily life around those people. Also, I ask that you pray for Ryan and those of us Christians who are in his sphere (and in the sphere of that couple).

      
       "Look among the nations, and see; wonder and be astounded. 
For I am doing a work in your days that you would not believe if I told you." 
-Habakkuk 1: 5

3 comments:

  1. Did my first comment go through?

    Love it! It's such an important fact that we so often overlook.

    I also like how you used the yellow for emphasis. Oh, and I love the Habakkuk verse. It's brought my so much comfort over the last five years or so. Did you read 1:3, too?

    And I love you. And I love God. And...
    <>< Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha...nope, your first comment didn't show up. And no but I'll check out 1:3 later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an excellent reminder.... I think I need to go reread Romans 2!

    ReplyDelete