Like many of my friends and people I know today, our support system and friends are spread nationwide, and even worldwide. I am blessed to see my earthly best friend every weekend and occasionally in the middle of the week, but there is always that adjustment period after spending all your time with your support system. I experienced that my freshman year of college, my senior year of college, and now after graduation and starting a job all by myself. There have been a few times in this most recent adjustment period that have been hard. It is hard knowing that even if I went back home, I wouldn't see any of my girls. It is hard knowing that if I just drove 20 minutes, I could see my best friend. It is hard knowing also that they are all super busy and even if I could find a way to see them, they may not have time for me. It is hard knowing I don't even have time to try.
During one of these moments, I was thinking, praying, and crying when this thought just hit me. I fully believe it was a God thing because it certainly did not come from me. I want to share this idea with you all because maybe you understand or maybe you just need a way to reconnect and get back involved in someone's life who you do see every day. This isn't just for long distances but for busy lives. We are all growing up, whether we like it or not, but that doesn't mean friendships should end or take a backseat because we are relational creatures. We need each other.
Here is the idea (take it, use it, change it, whatever will work for you. This is not mine but God's so do with it as you please):
1. Pick one day a week.
2. Send a quick text to the friend(s) you have made the agreement with.
3. In the text, include a positive (or praise) from the week before and one negative (or prayer request).
4. Wait for their positive and negative.
5. Write their positive and negative in your prayer journal or your calendar or your bathroom mirror, whichever fits your lifestyle best.
6. Actually pray about these. Don't just write them down and forget. Follow through. You will be amazed at the answered prayers you see even just in the first week.
This does not require a lot of time. Maybe five minutes one day a week and then the time it takes you to shoot up a quick prayer of praise and need throughout the rest of the week for your friend(s). Start slow, maybe one friend, and once you get in the habit, add another. Pray about who you pick too. Maybe this will be a ministry for you to people you don't know very well but really need some encouragement. Be open and ready but be careful what you tell God cause he will take you up on it in a heartbeat.
Blessed,
Me
No comments:
Post a Comment