It's raining
My umbrella is open
causing the rain to run away from my head
off the edges of the umbrella
missing my ears
my eyes
my brain
I see the rain
I feel the rain
and maybe a few drops
find their way and absorb in my head
but most just drop to the ground around me
never actually reaching my mind or soul
I know I need the rain
I know my soul is thirsty
and longing to grow
but without the nourishment of the rain
that's impossible
I want to put my umbrella down
To feel the rain pour over my body and soul
but something stops me every time
maybe its fear
or busyness
Somewhere inside me, I'm torn
between the child wanting to dance in the rain
and the woman trapped in the worries of this world
Except the sun is actually out
the rain is only a metaphor
and the umbrella is so many things
keeping me from all the blessings and lessons God is trying to teach me
Oh God, help me put away my umbrella
so I can embrace every new lesson, blessing, and opportunity
you so graciously give me every day
"Faith is praying for rain and carrying an umbrella." - Emily
ReplyDelete